Sunday, February 6, 2011

Pleasure vs. Community Service

As we all have figured out doing this assignment, songs about pleasure are significantly more prevalent than those about service to the community. This is because most people are far more concerned with their own pleasure than the overall good of society. The average person is too self-centered to show concern for his or her fellow man. I noticed that quite a few blogs have songs in common but they were almost exclusively in the community service portion. In Hinduism, the four aims have equal importance and they are pursued in order. In the U.S. community service has a much lower priority for most individuals than pleasure (or worldly success for that matter. )

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sara,

    At first I thought that people were just more concerned with themselves rather than others and the world as a whole, but I don't think that's completely true. I think that especially in times of need, such as 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, etc., people see others needing help and do not hesitate to come to their rescue. There are also times when I think that people are ready to help others in need only when they are doing okay themselves (both emotionally, financially, etc.), but I'm not sure if that's completely true either. There are people who come up with charities and donate millions to help those in need. There are soldiers who are fighting for our safety at the cost of their own lives and their families. There are firemen and policemen that risk themselves everyday for our security. I definitely had the same opinion as you when I started to do this assignment, but as I'm looking through other blogs, I've found that my opinion is changing a bit and I'm seeing other sides to the issue of community service.

    ReplyDelete