Sunday, February 13, 2011

Worldy Success vs. Liberation

I'm not sure there was much of a difference in the prevalence of songs about these aims. I did, however, notice that many success songs are about money, power, and fame. I think that for some people, those things are the markings of success, but for others success can be described very differently. It can be getting a promotion, receiving an award or something completely personal.  The songs I found about liberation tended to be more concerned with freedom from harmful or negative situations. Some also dealt with simply being on one's own.

4 comments:

  1. It seems like the general consensus is that everyone's form of success and liberation varies depending on the individual. However, the overall goal is the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Out of all the blogs that I read, you are the only one that mention that some people view success not by the money, the cars, the fame, and the power as success. You mad a valid point when you said that some people look at success by receiving a promotion or reward. Very good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you made the point that not everyone defines success as money, power, fame, and so on, despite how Western music typically portrays it. I think that music has a lot of influence on what people think is the standard opinion and this can greatly influence popular opinion on ideas like good, bad, success, failure, and so on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think when we look at all of these Hindu aims, they rely heavily on your own interpretation. We all define success, pleasure, and liberation in many and different ways. For example, some people define success in terms of wealth, but I define success in terms of being happy and satisfied with one's life. And just as you did, I also took liberation in terms of being free from the world and on your own and independent.

    ReplyDelete